Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is Music the Career for Me?

Uh, yeah. Of course - it's what I'm being paid to do right now, isn't it?

I couldn't imaging myself doing anything else, even in music. Every year, as those Idol shows come on - I watch the wannabe contestants and wonder - "could I do that? I could pwn those n00bs in music". The glamour, the attention, the opportunity to get better while performing for thousands- it's pretty attractive. What better reason to buy new gear? "Honey, I'm a professional performing musician - I NEED that stuff".

I then think of having to explain why my manager wants me to tour 5-6 days each week, or to be away for months at a time. I'd probably be home long enough in a stint to kiss my wife and son, maybe sire another child that I wouldn't be home long enough to father. With those thoughts, I can appreciate my ability to be a professional musician on a different level.

As a teacher, I get to travel (band trips), work with music every day, and to be the guru to thousands of students over my career. Yes, I get to share what I feel is my gift for music with all of you. If that weren't enough, I get to stay at home most of the time, and spend time with my loving wife and son, and I get the summers to catch up with extended family and to devote more time to my next passions - gaming and playing in my band.

Am I famous? Maybe only to you. But that's enough for me. And - I get my daily ration of music of all sorts. Sounds good to me!

No comments: